Re: P3D information

on 10/5/00 12:41 PM, jeff w griffin at kb2wqm@juno.com wrote:

> Bruce Paige <kk5do@AMSAT.Org> wrote:
>> it still makes me wonder....
>> why do some require actual transponder activation times
> now? why do
>> some need to know pre-launch keps?
>
> I have a friend who want's to put up a satellite antenna system. He lives
> in a very congested area. He is trying to determine, if and for how long
> he will be able to see the bird. That seem's to me to be one valid reason
> for pre-launch Kep's.

Who knows how much they'll do.  The bird will be at an inclination of about
63 degrees.  That's pretty high.  It will be at a rather good angle at
apogee for most of the time.  I'd say that for your friend, he'll have a
great, nearly overhead shot to the bird for most of the apogee.

A good antenna and preamp system can compensate for a lot of shortcomings in
your surrounding.  I live in somewhat of a valley with a lot of trees.  I
get to the birds just fine.

73,

Jon
NA9D