Re: Security Guard in the Building next door.

on 10/4/00 11:47 PM, David M. Tipton, PhD at tiptond@psi.com wrote:

> I actually had the security guard from the building next door to the hotel
> walk on to the hotel property tonight while I working UO-14, pushed my arrow
> antenna to the ground and tell me that I had to stop operating.  So, anyway,
> I explained to him what I was doing and he acted like the typical dumbass
> and said "Oh, well, I'm security for that building over there (on the other
> property) and we have to investigate these things."
>
> I was tempted to call the police, however, it would have been too late to
> finish the pass anyway, but does anybody have any ideas on what we can do to
> prevent confrontations like this?

Yes,

Explain to him that you are a licensed amateur radio operator and that you
have authority from the FCC to be doing this.  Show him your license.  Then
if he still insists on being an a** ask him what public ordinance you are
breaking by doing this in a PUBLIC place.  If he continues, then sure, call
the police.

One more thing that you may want to do is to inform the security at your
hotel what you are doing in the parking lot with that thing.  They likely
won't care, but then if Sheriff Buford T. Justice comes along, you can
inform him that you cleared it with hotel security.

This guy obviously needed some testosterone or something!

Rule number one though is: KEEP YOUR COOL.  Be diplomatic.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden