Re: is there an schedule of event for after the lauchof P3D?

on 10/3/00 4:43 PM, Russ Tillman at k5nrk@canufly.net wrote:

> Once Phase 3D is operational, it is my understanding that a management group
> composed of international members will develop operating schedules that are
> dependent on a variety of variables. However as Peter describes in his
> article, there are quite a few milestones that Phase 3D needs to pass before
> we get to that stage, so stay tuned for operating details and schedules via
> ANS, AMSAT-WWW, and the Journal.

It was an excellent article.  Hopefully, if all goes well, we can begin
limited use of the space craft within one to two months after launch if I
remember right.  So by the first of the year, we may be able to play on it
to a limited extent.  But, it will be a difficult thing.  For one, it will
likely be using its omni antennas quite a bit as the side of the craft with
the motor will be facing away from the earth (as I understand it).  This
side contains all the high gain antennas.  Secondly, the orbit will be
raised during the first 9 months to an apogee of 76,000 KM or so.  That's
WAY, WAY out there and signals will be very, very weak, particularly when
using omnis.  Lastly, full solar panel deployment will not occur until after
the bird has moved into its final orbit which will take 9 to 12 months.  So
power budgets will also be limited during this time.

So hopefully, we will have something to play with on a limited basis come
January.  However, we won't have a fully working, loud bird until about a
year from now.

73,

Jon
NA9D