Re: RS-13 Frequencies

Hello James!

01 Oct 00 09:50, you wrote to Frank Grossman:

 JD> recommend you go ahead and try to make Mode A contacts by keying the
 JD> PTT on your FM radio.
 JD>
 JD> Over the years this has been the way many newcomers started in the
 JD> hobby. Satellite operators are much more forgiving of poor CW note
 JD> than HF operators, as it means that someone else is getting interested
 JD> in the birds.
 JD>
 JD> I think you will find making QSOS using that technique to be more
 JD> satisfactory than trying to use the FM birds. Give it a try - Dr.
 JD> Megacycle KK6MC/5 -- James R. Duffey KK6MC/5 30 Casa Loma Road Cedar
 JD> Crest, NM 87008

One does have to make sure that the PTT can be keyed easily, as some (like
mine! :( ) are pretty hard to get any intelligible CW out on.  Alternative
strategies include wiring a key into the mic socket, so whenever the key is
closed, the PTT is activated.  This also has the advantage of disconnecting the
mic, which minimises the presence of stray FM sidebands.

Hmm, might have to build yet another adapter for my key...  Fuji CW could be
the way to go. :)

Tony, VK3JED

.. et: a phoneless cord.