RE: RS-13 Frequencies

Vince,
I'm not an old timer sat op by any means, but it's interesting how many of the stories are the same.  I made my first sat contact on RS-12 by transmitting on an HW-8 (about 2-1/2 W on 15 m) and listening on an HTX-100.  It took a while to make that first QSO :-)  I can't do that now because RS-13's bandpass is too high.  I soon figured out I could operate my FT-890 in split mode and soon went QRO in SSB!  Man, was I hooked then.  I saw a posting from K6YK here earlier about FM CW... John was my first AO-10 contact.  That was using my dual-band mobile FM rig with an alligator clip jumper on the PTT (boy did it sound lousy!) for semi-CW.  I guess he felt sorry for me--QLF with a chirp.  BTW, I had a TenTec 2 m transverter connected to the ol' FT-890 for the downlink.  Ops that start off with a satellite-capable radio just miss all the fun!
73,
Jerry, K5OE

<vlfiscus@mcn.net> writes:

<< At 09:05 AM 10/2/00 +1000, Tony Langdon <tlangdon@atctraining.com.au> wrote:

>Hmm, there may be a case for a simple and cheap CW transmitter kit, designed
>for satellites. :-)

Nah, The ARRL says cw is an old mode, not helpful, and choking future
growth. Could they be wrong?  We shouldn't mix hi-tech hardware with
low-tech modes. The hobby won't grow if we keep using cw.
>NOT<

My first satellite contact was keying my fm HT on rs-10.  I think the ham I
contacted felt sorry for me due to the poor stability of my cw tone.  It
wasn't long after this that I joined amsat. I was hooked.

73 de KB7ADL