Re: SSTV on transponder sats

Hello Howard!

02 Oct 00 08:29, you wrote to All:

 HL> Although I've not tried it myself, I have heard SSTV on the
 HL> transponder sats. Generally I'm not aware of this being thought of as
 HL> bad practice, although I may be wrong.
 HL>
 HL> So my question is: What's the difference between running SSTV and FM
 HL> voice when it comes to bandwidth and power budget?

Power-none, both use 100% duty cycle.  However, SSTV uses a similar amount of
bandwidth to SSB, as SSTV is designed to be able to be sent over an ordinary
SSB transceiver.  So there is a bandwidth advantage to using SSTV over FM
voice.

The lower bandwidth requirements of SSTV does have an implicit power advantage,
in that less uplink power (and therefor transponder power) should be required
to achieve an acceptable S/N on the downlink.

Tony, VK3JED

.. I've been to the paradise... it's called the DEATH STAR!!!