Re: SSTV on transponder sats

on 10/2/00 2:29 AM, Howard Long at howard@howardlong.com wrote:

> Although I've not tried it myself, I have heard SSTV on the transponder
> sats. Generally I'm not aware of this being thought of as bad practice,
> although I may be wrong.
>
> So my question is: What's the difference between running SSTV and FM voice
> when it comes to bandwidth and power budget?
>
> Let me make it clear, I'm certainly not promoting FM voice on transponder
> sats at all!

Well, let's look at it this way:

1.) SSTV can be run either over FM or over SSB
2.) Running it over SSB will take less bandwidth than FM
3.) SSTV is a very high duty cycle just like RTTY.  This is where the
dilemma comes in.
4.) The linear birds (FO20 and FO29 and AO10) are so minimally used that it
really doesn't hurt or rob power if it's you and a few other folks.

The best advice is to just use common sense.

Now on P3D, there will be separate digital bands and perhaps this is where
SSTV could go (I think of SSTV as a DATA mode and feel it should be moved
from the USA SSB phone sub-bands to the CW/data sub-bands.).

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden