Re: WiSP, AO10 & FM sats

In a message dated 9/29/00 8:22:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time, K5OE@aol.com
writes:

> What I really wanted to comment on was my observation the last two weekends
> that AO-10 seems to be increasingly difficult to work when it moves to the
> east on these perigee passes (currently in the morning over N.A.).  At
> relatively close distances of 20-25,000 km, and moderate elevations around
20-
> 40 degrees, I find the signals dropping down into the noise.  This is in
> sharp contrast to last winter when the signals were very strong as the bird
> moved over Europe.  Do you guys note the the same thing with your big
> antennas?
>  73,
>  Jerry, K5OE

Jerry,

I am currently on AO-10 at 1300 UTC. Bird is at 21,400 km from me at 14
degree el. Good downlink! But only LHCP. Switching to RHCP and it disappears.
Of course with AO-10 this can change at a moments notice......

BTW, worked Javier, EB8AYA in the Canary Islands (IL18). He was an good 55.

73,
Mike, N1JEZ
AMSAT #29649
Local Area Coordinator