Re: WiSP, AO10 & FM sats

Jon, Mike, et. al.,
The 5/8 wl antennas might be pretty good for the perigee passes from west to east while AO-10 is still at very low elevation, but would be worse than deaf above 20 degrees.  The real vertical aficionados, of course, would use 5/8 wl up to 15 degrees, switch to 1/4 wl at until 40 degrees, then use a 3/4 wl for the higher elevations :-)

What I really wanted to comment on was my observation the last two weekends that AO-10 seems to be increasingly difficult to work when it moves to the east on these perigee passes (currently in the morning over N.A.).  At relatively close distances of 20-25,000 km, and moderate elevations around 20-40 degrees, I find the signals dropping down into the noise.  This is in sharp contrast to last winter when the signals were very strong as the bird moved over Europe.  Do you guys note the the same thing with your big antennas?
73,
Jerry, K5OE

In a message dated Thu, 28 Sep 2000 11:03:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Jon Ogden <na9d@mindspring.com> writes:

<< on 9/28/00 9:15 AM, Mike73@aol.com at Mike73@aol.com wrote:

> It will be extremely difficult to work AO-10 with 5/8 wave antennas. (Not
> impossible, but very tough for even a seasoned veteran.) You really need some
> type of beam.

Lately, AO-10 has been passing of the USA at perigee.  At this altitude I
think it would be possible to hear the beacon with a 5/8 wave or similar
antenna.  However, at apogee forget it!

73,

Jon
NA9D