Re: FO-20

on 9/27/00 9:38 PM, Matt Donohoe at TheRelic@dingoblue.net.au wrote:

> I was just on the 12:21 UTC - 02:38 UTC pass on FO-20 on the 435.795MHz+/-
> Beacon..
>
> I am wondering, when it starts to become copyable does everything go quiet
> like the FM birds ? (that period as it is comming in loud and clear and seems
> to quieten the radio) ?

No.  The FM birds put out a constant FM carrier.  The SSB/Linear birds do
not.  You will hear noise unless you tune to a frequency that someone is
transmitting on.  When listening to the beacon, you will hear the CW tones
generally or sometimes a solid tone as in the case of AO-10.  I forget what
FO20 has.

> What does hearing something like this mean about my current antenna ? (I am
> using a 10 Element Homebrew Yagi for 436 MHz with 11.7dBi of Gain)

Not sure.  Did you copy something?  If you did, your antenna works!

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden