Re: digital satellite operation

At 01:26 AM 9/26/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>Even thouigh I have purchased the various satellite documentation from
>AMSAT, I am unable to find information in these books on how to operate
>digital satellites other than using WISP which I don't care for.

There's still the original PB and PG, running under DOS.
Available at http://www.amsat.org/amsat/ftpsoft.html#pc-pac

There's the Microsat Ground Station for Linux.
Available at http://www.amsat.org/amsat/ftpsoft.html#linux

There's JStation, the Java Satellite Ground Station, which works on Windows,
Linux, Solaris, etc.
Available at http://www.qsl.net/n6lyt/

The technical spec on the pacsat protocols is available in case you want to
write your own software: http://www.amsat.org/amsat/sats/nk6k/msatmain.html

>I have a TNC connected to my Yaesu FT-847 and I'm able to receive data from
>satellites and display it with a terminal emulator, but I don't know how to
>talk to the birds nor do I know how to decode telemetry.

For microsat telemetry, you could get TLMDC II from AMSAT, see
http://www.amsat.org/amsat/catalog/software.html#tlmdc

Or, TLMDC4 can be downloaded from
http://www.amsat.org/amsat/ftpsoft.html#pc-usat

Or, under Windows, Wintel.
http://www.amsat.org/amsat/ftpsoft.html#win-tlm

Do you have the AMSAT-NA Digital Satellite Guide? I haven't looked at
the current version, so I don't know if it talks about programs other than
WiSP.

73  -Paul
kb5mu@amsat.org