Re: digital satellite operation

At 01:26 AM 9/26/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>Even thouigh I have purchased the various satellite documentation from
>AMSAT, I am unable to find information in these books on how to operate
>digital satellites other than using WISP which I don't care for.

There's still the original PB and PG, running under DOS.
Available at http://www.amsat.org/amsat/ftpsoft.html#pc-pac

There's the Microsat Ground Station for Linux.
Available at http://www.amsat.org/amsat/ftpsoft.html#linux

There's JStation, the Java Satellite Ground Station, which works on Windows,
Linux, Solaris, etc.
Available at http://www.qsl.net/n6lyt/

The technical spec on the pacsat protocols is available in case you want to
write your own software: http://www.amsat.org/amsat/sats/nk6k/msatmain.html

>I have a TNC connected to my Yaesu FT-847 and I'm able to receive data from
>satellites and display it with a terminal emulator, but I don't know how to
>talk to the birds nor do I know how to decode telemetry.

For microsat telemetry, you could get TLMDC II from AMSAT, see

Or, TLMDC4 can be downloaded from

Or, under Windows, Wintel.

Do you have the AMSAT-NA Digital Satellite Guide? I haven't looked at
the current version, so I don't know if it talks about programs other than

73  -Paul