digital satellite operation

Even thouigh I have purchased the various satellite documentation from
AMSAT, I am unable to find information in these books on how to operate
digital satellites other than using WISP which I don't care for.

I have a TNC connected to my Yaesu FT-847 and I'm able to receive data from
satellites and display it with a terminal emulator, but I don't know how to
talk to the birds nor do I know how to decode telemetry. I use Nova to track
the birds.

Can anyone point me to a resoruce or software that will help ?

Thanks

Jim
KD7GND