Re: Want to Homebrew a Preamp

on 9/25/00 6:11 PM, Michael P. Olbrisch at kd9kc@elp.rr.com wrote:

> If sharing experiences and suggestions on what works, what is not so good,
> and especially... what is a turkey... isn't what this list is for, then I
> guess
> I subscribed by accident.  Thanks to those of you, who at the risk of being
> jumped on, saved me from wasting money on things that wouldn't meet
> my needs.  Word of mouth is truth in advertising.
>
> I - for one - appreciate your research, and sharing it so that I don't
> duplicate
> it, and poorly, at my own expense.  And I try to return the favor when I
> can.

AMEN!

Jumping on someone and telling them to "read a book because there are plenty
written" is a bunch of horse sh*t and has NO PLACE on any ham radio list.
This is one of my pet peeves and I've gotten riled up about it on other
reflectors too.

What if you "book" people would have been just thrown a book by your
teachers in school?  What if every time you "book" people raised your hand
to ask a question in school, got the response, "It's in a book.  Look it up.
I won't help you."  What arrogance to assume that just because you can learn
something from a book or that you wrote a book that someone else can.  That
is the height of arrogance.

What if the person who got you into ham radio just threw the FCC or Radio
Industry Canda rules manual at you and said, "Read it and take the test."  I
doubt you got your license that way.

The whole purpose of discussion groups is to learn and share information.
Here is why "looking it up in the book" isn't necessarily the best:

1.) Many ham books have gross errors.
2.) Many ham books are out of date since new devices come out all the time.
3.) The best design may not be in a book.
4.) Maybe the person can't afford the book or find it in their country.
5.) Maybe the person is someone who learns from one on one and not a book.
6.) Maybe they tried examples in books and had no sucess.

I guess that the "book" people just want this to be a braggard's list where
we can sit around and say, "I wrote this book."  "Oh yeah, we'll I wrote
this software package.", etc.  Kind of reminds me of the Monty Python sketch
"We had it Rough!"

Flame away.  I have my asbestos underwear on.

Thanks, Mike for your stand on this!

73,

Jon
NA9D