Re: Connectors on an 847

on 9/22/00 2:03 AM, Howard Long at howard@howardlong.com wrote:

> o    Preorder a couple of power on/off switches from Yaesu. The power switch
> is the only piece of mediocre design on the radio. Neither the mechanism nor
> the contacts are up to the job. For this reason I switch the radio on and
> off at the power supply.

That's interesting.....I've had mine for a year now with no power switch
problems.  I'll have to watch out for it.

One other thing is that you *may* need to modify the headphone circuitry.
Some of the models have an attenuator pad in them for using high impedance
headphones.  If your headphones distort when you turn the volume up more
than half way, you will need to do this.

Remove the front panel and locate the headphone board.  If possible remove
the board.  You'll have to find a way to remove the retaining ring of the
headphone plug.  I could not so I just had to do the surgery with the board
in place.  There are 4 resistors on the board from what I remember.  The two
to be removed should be red or marked with a red dot.  Remove them.
Resistors R8501 and R8502 should remain on the board.  The schematic Yaesu
provides with the radio doesn't even show the resistors that should be
removed.  There was a more exact discussion of this on either this reflector
or the Yaesu reflector in January of this year I think.  If in doubt,
contact Mike at Yaesu and he'll walk you through it.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden