Re: Connectors on an 847

Hi Dave,

HF, 50MHz, 144MHz are SO-239
432MHz is N

The HF and 50MHz can be duplexed internally onto the HF socket with a menu
setting.

_None_ of the others can be duplexed/triplexed without an external
duplexer/triplexer. But then I doubt you'd want to do this with your setup -
I was just trying to give a complete answer. It's a question several people
have asked though.

There's an excellent BB at http://www.w8rd.net/ft-847 which I think is the
best online source for any radio I've seen. Really helped me during the
early stages, and still does now.

Couple of tips:

o    If computer control's important to you, get one with a late serial
number (8G05xxxx & above) which allows two way CAT control, or get Yaesu to
upgrade the firmware.

o    Be prepared for a frustratingly long learning curve. I don't think the
FT-847 is any worse than any other radio to learn, but there's so much you
want to do, and so little time before the next AOS!

o    Purchase an 2.1kHz INRAD filter for SSB RX.

o    Preorder a couple of power on/off switches from Yaesu. The power switch
is the only piece of mediocre design on the radio. Neither the mechanism nor
the contacts are up to the job. For this reason I switch the radio on and
off at the power supply.

I can assure you that you will not be disappointed by this radio. Whether
the XYL will be impressed is another matter.

73, Howard G6LVB