Re: FO29/RS13 compared to UO14 - Why?

on 9/21/00 4:02 AM, Bruce Paige at kk5do@AMSAT.Org wrote:

> are the references to increase signal gain done when the satellite
> switches polarity and are barely audible? or is it taken when the satellite
> is in the same polarity as the receiving antenna and at full strength? a
> better test of signal gain would be to listen to ao-10 at 32,000 Km and see
> if you can hear yourself. That will be a low power signal and you can see
> what your actual gain is.

References to received signal are just turning the preamps on and off while
listening to the bird.  It shouldn't matter that much that it's a LEO when
you turn the amps on for 5 seconds, check the signal, turn them off for 5
seconds, check the signal.....

> also, i would comment as to why compare using a preamp on an FM
> signal vs a sideband signal? does not seem like an even comparison.

I'm not comparing them.  My post was about FO29.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden