Homebrew Antennas - Cheap and Easy Yagis

For easy to build, inexpensive, good performing antennas, Kent Brittain's
cheap and easy Yagis are hard to beat:

http://www.clarc.org/Articles/uhf.htm

The above URL has a nice variety of designs for various boom lengths and
bands. SOme can be hand held. No tuning is required if built to the
drawings. Their performance is within a dB of the best possible for the boom
length. I have built the 3 element 2 M versionand am very pleased with its
performance. The patterns are very sharp and well defined with few side
lobes.

For higher gains and longer booms the Quagis detailed in the ARRL Handbook
and Antenna Book are hard to beat for no tune, easy to build antennas. Their
performance is within a dB or two of the best available for the boom length.

To improve significantly onthe performance of these two antennas, one must
go to much more work.

Both of these antenns can be built with materials available locally at a
building supply store, hardware store, and/or lumber yard.

I hope that this helps. - Dr. Megacyle KK6MC/5 LM 1718
--
James R. Duffey KK6MC/5
30 Casa Loma Road

--