Re: Mode L/S

"Kevin J. Smith" wrote:

> BlankWhat terrestrial activity in the US might there be in the satellite
> portion of the L (1268 - 1270 MHz) and S (2400 - 2402 MHz) bands that would
> make it worthwhile to have transmit and receive capability in both bands?  I
> understand that traditional activity for these bands exists around 1296 MHz
> and 2304 Mhz.

Here in southern California, every part of the 1240 - 1300 and 2300 - 2450 bands
are allocated.  1260 - 1270 is "Satellite primary, experimental, and AM ATV
(ground station only - 1265.25 visual carrier)" and 2400 - 2410 is "Space,
Earth, and Telecommand".  Now if you are wondering if there is actually any
activity on those bands, the answer is a real big YES.  Just to point out a
couple parts of the bands that I am familiar with, there are at least 6 ATV
repeaters sharing a common input on 2441.5 (narrow band FM video), and at least
6 links of narrow band FM video sharing 2418 (five of which receive at the same
location.  On 23 cm there are many dozens of FM voice repeaters, dozens of FM
voice links between repeaters and other auxilliary stations.  On ATV 7 repeaters
share 3 output channels.  I only listed the stuff I know about.  There is more
activity as well in other parts of the bands.

BTW, in case anyone is wondering what I mean by narrow band FM video, that's 4
MHz deviation FM video with audio subcarrier.  Each channel is 17 MHz wide.

73
Jim Walls - K6CCC
k6ccc@amsat.org
http://home.earthlink.net/~k6ccc/