Re: Hey Gang... DSP Modems... and EM-04

At 04:22 PM 9/18/2000 +0000, you wrote:
>David M. Tipton, PhD <tiptond@psi.com> wrote:
>
>>Anyway, the real question...  I want to buy a packet modem for digital
>>satellite use.  Can anyone recommend one?  What should I be looking for
>>anyway?  I don't know much about this aspect of it, but I've seen WISP
>>used, and it looks neat.  Additionally, I'd like to try some expirementation.
>
>Whatever you can get. They all work.
>
>>I have a sound card in my PC, and wouldn't mind buying a "Rig Blaster" but
>>is this type of scenario feasible?
>
>'fraid not. While WiSP pulled many things together into a
>useful package, it implements a very particular model of
>digital satellite operation, and provides no facilities
>for anything else.
>
>Laura Halliday VE7LDH     "Que les nuages soient notre

Assuming David is asking about digital satellite operations, I guess I
would pose the question--what other modes are digital satellites currently
using?  If your modem will run in KISS mode, you can use Wisp.  I can't
think of what else there is right now on the digital birds...

I've found Wisp to be very good at allowing me to run .bat files for a
specific bird before each pass (to load a certain modem code--1200, 9600,
or 38k4-- to reconfigure my dsp, for example), or even to launch another
program at the time of a pass (a dumb terminal program to work the FO-20
BBS, for example).  It seems quite flexible to me.  Maybe I lack imagination :)

73,

Mark L. Hammond  [N8MH]