Re: A launch prep - coverage campaigne...

You may be correct, Erik, and in that case we should not
 transpond anything that did not meet the Emergency
protocols. I was just using this as an example of
possibilities that are staring us in the face. There are
many others.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Henry
KA1RRT

Quoting Erik Skovgaard <ve7mdl@rac.ca>:

> Henry,
>
> I don't know about US regulations, but in Canada we
also alolow Marine VHF
> channel 70 for general (digital) calling.  I would
expect this channel to
> be fairly active once Digital Selective Calling (DSC)
becomes widespread.

> I agree with your perspective on public service.
>
> 73 de VE7MDL                  ....Erik.
>
> At 17:58 00/09/14 -0400, hmose@sover.net wrote:
> >That's for sure. Like the two bills Clinton recently
> >vetoed (with no over-ride) the events in French
> >Guiana are going to be seen, from a GEO orbit, as to
> >only benefit the wealthy. How can anyone perceive any
> >public benefit when there is none?? As I have said on
> >this reflector before, there should be a public
service
> >aspect to everything we do. In the coming days, when
we
> >make public announcements about P3D, we should
> >demonstrate that we will DO SOMETHING WORTHWHILE with
> >this expensive toy.
> >
> >It could watch marine digital emergency channel 70
> >(156.525 Mhz) for example and transpond onto a
downlink
> >any data received. Perfectly legal as this is an
> >emergency only channel. There is a miriad of things
our
> >satellites could do for the amateur community in
> >general.
> >
> >We need a Vice President for Public Service at
> >AMSAT!!!!!
> >
> >Henry
> >KA1RRT
> >

> >Quoting T5z4@aol.com:
> >
> >> In a message dated 9/14/00 10:39:38 AM Eastern
> >Daylight Time,
> >> Russell.K.Tillman@erdc.usace.army.mil writes:
> >>
> >> << I may add that
> >>  I feel pretty comfortable that news will begin to
> >come out of South
> >> America
> >>  as they know their fellow members are very excited
> >about the event.   >>
> >>

> >> I hate to say it, but this isn't about us.  It's
about
> >Amateur Radio.  This
> >>
> >> is a story
> >> that needs to include the whole Ham community.
> >Someone earlier said it
> >> best,
> >> "We really do have an elitist look about us" and it
> >can be seen from a GEO
> >> orbit.
> >> If AMSAT wants to sell satellites it needs to open
up
> >and stop acting like
> >> bunch
> >> of egocentric tinkerers alone in the dark, or that
> >indeed is what we will
> >> be,
> >> just like
> >> in the good old days.  And, if we can't free up the
> >necessary resources to
> >> cover
> >> such a major event, lets pump the ARRL and whoever
> >else we can all dream
> >> up,
> >> to give Amateur Radio, not just us, but the whole
> >hobby a chance to feel
> >> what
> >> is
> >> going on in the process using realtime techniques.
 By
> >the way folks, in
> >> case
> >> we all
> >> forgot, the internet can be accessed via satellite.
> >So, there's our line
> >> out
> >> of the
> >> jungle.  With my own twist to an old tired saying,
we
> >really do need to
> >> think
> >> outside
> >> "our own" little box a bit more.  With that, best
of
> >luck to you guys
> >> headed
> >> down
> >> there and to those there now.  My toes, eyes and
what
> >I can will be crossed
> >>
> >> for you.
> >>
> >> 73, Steve
> >> K5PK
> >>
> >> ----
> >> Via the amsat-bb mailing list at AMSAT.ORG courtesy
of