Re: Re: Use of HIGH SPEED DIGITAL ON AMSAT BIRDS

At 05:57 PM 9/15/00 +0000, you wrote:
>A software defined radio is a very good idea as it would allow more
>experimentation. I'm in the process of making one myself using Intersil
>chips. However the cost for anything that can process 76.8 kbps data is
>about 400 USD. Soundcards won't work well above 4800 bps because the
>sampling rate is too low.

I have wondered for some time what the practical limit was for soundcard
applications.  I've tried flexnet at 1200 baud and had great success.  I've
tried it (admitted this was several years ago, so not the latest version)
at 9600 baud and found I could connect, but pushing data through was very
difficult.  (The radio was my 736 so the problem wasn't that it didn't do
9600 baud.)  John's statement might help to explain my lack of
success.  Has anyone had a great deal of success (say, comparable to a
G3RUH modem) with 9600 baud and a soundcard?

Thanks,

John W2FS