Re: A launch prep - coverage campaigne...

I tend to agree with Jon on this one.  I didn't personally get involved in
Sats until earlier this year because I always thought that it took too much
technical knowledge and too much equipment to successfully work the
birds.  I too had the opinion that it was an elitist bunch.

What I have discovered in the AMSAT organization (Hereby to be referred to
as .. The Community) is a bunch of pretty great guys who have helped me at
every major and minor snag.  I've never seen such a thing in my life.  Back
in 1985 when I first got my license, I was still in High School and the
world was a different place.  I used to wonder around my neighborhood and
knock on doors of hams in the area.  They always welcomed me in, showed me
their stations, and offered me a cup of coffee/coke/beverage and sometimes
even cookies.

What I have discovered in this group is that it's very much the same.  Even
if it is on a cyber level.

I have just recently moved to a new area of the country.  One of my primary
goals is to find the Sat Operators in the area.  I found one person who
lives literally down the street from me who also just moved in and used to
be active.  He is likely to become active again.

The question that needs to be asked is this:  Who have you invited over
lately to give a demo too?  Who have you whipped out your Arrow and
handheld for and shown them how to do it?  By de-mystifying the experience,
you add the element of fun back into it.  When I was getting started, Ken
KD3VK handed me a 736, a couple of antennas, amplifiers, a DSP Modem and a
box full of books.  We need more ambassadors like this.

Phase 3D is an awesome project and is likely to bring a lot of would be sat
ops out of the closet and back on the air.  The trick will be to see how
many people we can each recruit to come onboard with our vision and
dream.  As far as a public service aspect to this, that will happen.  Don't
be surprised when we have a weekly traffic net meeting on the bird.

Dave, N8KXA