A launch prep - coverage campaigne...

In a message dated 9/14/00 10:39:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Russell.K.Tillman@erdc.usace.army.mil writes:

<< I may add that
 I feel pretty comfortable that news will begin to come out of South America
 as they know their fellow members are very excited about the event.   >>

I hate to say it, but this isn't about us.  It's about Amateur Radio.  This
is a story
that needs to include the whole Ham community.  Someone earlier said it best,
"We really do have an elitist look about us" and it can be seen from a GEO
orbit.
If AMSAT wants to sell satellites it needs to open up and stop acting like a
bunch
of egocentric tinkerers alone in the dark, or that indeed is what we will be,
just like
in the good old days.  And, if we can't free up the necessary resources to
cover
such a major event, lets pump the ARRL and whoever else we can all dream up,
to give Amateur Radio, not just us, but the whole hobby a chance to feel what
is
going on in the process using realtime techniques.  By the way folks, in case
we all
forgot, the internet can be accessed via satellite.  So, there's our line out
of the
jungle.  With my own twist to an old tired saying, we really do need to think
outside
"our own" little box a bit more.  With that, best of luck to you guys headed
down
there and to those there now.  My toes, eyes and what I can will be crossed
for you.

73, Steve
K5PK