Re: Re: PSK, what is BPSK? Fourier escapes me at the moment.

Howard Long <howard@hanlincrest.co.uk> wrote:

>(snip...)
>For Linux I guess there's GNU source code for stuff like the
>G3RUH modem. Is this part of one of the standard Redhat or
>Slackware releases, or is it available elsewhere?

The sound modem support is part of all standard distributions,
as far as I know. It's certainly part of Slackware. The support
is fully integrated - when you make config it asks if you want
KISS, Baycom, soundmodem, etc. See the AX25-HOWTO file for
further information.

>Do you have a good DSP for Dummies (like me!) type reference
>you could recommend?

Start with Ifeachor & Jervis. Consider also Haykin and Wilson
for the comms background stuff.

See http://www.qsl.net/ve7ldh/reading.html

>Even better would be some sort of Micro$oft-esque example so
>I don't have to dust off my Linux partition.

I'll have to leave that to others: the only Micro$oft dev
tool I have is a pirate copy of QuickBasic. :-)

>I'm interested in embedded DSP you mentioned too. What's
>the development languages and environment like? Will I have
>to brush up my assembler or is it all C these days?...

You get what you pay for. Expect an assembler, with various
download, simulation and monitoring tools. The hardware
capability usually includes the DSP chip itself, stereo
analogue I/O (up to 48 ksps, 16 bits), and a serial host
interface that you can program yourself if you want to.

Good compilers are hard to do, especially on the low-end
DSP chips - they don't have very orthogonal architectures.

>Either way I'd like to at least give it a go. The last
>bit of assembler I did was over five years ago, which was
>an IEEE floating point package for an embedded Z80 based
>duplex radio telemetry unit less than the size of a cigar-
>ette pack. The modulation for that was simple FSK...

The world has changed. A lot - that Analog Devices board
has 33 MIPS for the less than $US100 they want for it.
And it comes with all the goodies to take advantage of those
33 MIPS.

I think you'll like the new world.

                                   - Hospital/Shafte