FW: CM96 activation

Last Friday I said (in part):

----------
> 	This weekend I will be in the Santa Cruz, California area for a
> family wedding.  After the wedding on Saturday night I will be staying
> in Gilroy, California which sits on the dividing line between CM97
> (well populated) and CM96 (very few people).  I will ATTEMPT
> to activate CM96 for the last couple passes on Saturday evening on
> UO-14.  I may also get a FO-29 pass also on Saturday night.

The weekend did go as planned, and Friday evening I activated CM97 from
Santa Nella, Calif. On one UO-14 pass.  This was really intended as a test
of the portable station and to make sure
I had all the needed cables, adapters, etc.  It worked fairly well and I
talked to 4 stations.
Saturday evening I was able to set the station up from the Motel-6 parking
lot in Gilroy in CM96fx and again worked one UO-14 pass.  I logged 7
different stations with the farthest east being in Illinois.  I believe I
worked pretty much everybody that was on that pass (a surprisingly quiet
pass for a Saturday evening).  If anyone needs a QSL card for this
operation, I would appreciate an SASE (my wife is complaining that I'm
spending too much on QSLs).
This whole trip was a bit of a dress rehearsal for a 5 day bike ride that I
am the comm co-ordinator for next month wherein I expect to operate
satellites from DM14, DM15, DM16, DM06, and DM07.  More details on that in a
few weeks.

73