Re: Telemetry

At 01:38 PM 9/7/2000 +0200, Jean-Louis.RAULT@tcc.thomson-csf.com wrote:

>Just a question after reading in the last AMSAT Journal the exciting article
>of Peter DB2OS about the first paces of P3D in space.
>Will any telemetry decoding information or telemetry software been made
>available to the ham community before launch ?

I have a relatively complex Windows (95/98/NT/2000) telemetry software
program for P3D.  The program will decode the telemetry and has windows to
display overall status, temperature, power, navigation, the transponder
matrix grid etc.  Telemetry can be logged, and logged files can be
replayed.  Selected telemetry channels can have their values graphed from a
replay file, a series of up to 10 channels can be exported from a stored
telemetry file for manipulation by Excel or other spread sheet
software.  The program is currently fully functional and a command version
of it has been used by the P3D team for several years.  I'll be in Kourou
for two weeks starting 9/13 and during that time, I'll verify all of the
data translation equations and make any last minute changes that are
necessary to the software.  The general release telemetry version should be
ready shortly after that.  The last thing to do is to finalize a Help file
to prevent me from getting too many setup questions.  I plan on releasing
this through AMSAT-NA and having them charge a small fee to support the
organization and P3D.  The software currently requires a callsign and
matching registration number to function.

As currently structured, the software accepts live data from an RS232
serial port at 1200 baud.  The G3RUH 400 bps PSK demodulator is fully
compatible, and there are software demodulators for the DSP-93, DSP-12, and
DSP-2232 that work fine as well, although the DSP-2232 400 bps demodulator
that I have only reads 512 byte per block and omits the terminal CRCC bytes
so error checking can't be done.  A 514 byte version IS available for the
DSP-12 and DSP-93.

Finally, the software includes TCP/IP client and server capability.  In
server mode, you can output live telemetry from your internet site to any
connecting clients and in client mode, you can log into any server site
(with a known address) and download real-time telemetry.....

BTW, the program is written in C++ using Borland C++ Builder.  If you are
interested in programming and like the RAD capabilities of Visual Basic,
try C++ Builder, it blows the socks off Vis. Basic in virtually any
category you can imagine (I don't own stock in Inprise :-) ).  Borland is
developing a Linux version of C++ Builder scheduled for release in a year
or so. Therefore, it should be easy to port this program over to the Linux
platform at that time.   I doubt if that will happen with Visual Basic,
given its developer :-).  If you're a Mac user, I don't know what's
currently available, but the telemetry channel designations and translation
equations will be made available very shortly, so anyone with proper
development software can "roll their own" program.

As Peter mentioned in his article, the current plan calls for P3D to have
periods of active transponder time the first year of its life while it's
orbit is gradually adjusted and it's in spin mode.  However, even when the
transponders are off you always can watch the telemetry as one or more
beacons should always be functional ....

These will be exciting times.