RE: Re: Use of HIGH SPEED DIGITAL ON AMSAT BIRDS

> At low speeds (appx. 10 bytes/sec.) this should allow the use of
> omidirectional antennas for PSK31-like communication or APRS
> over P3D. At
> high speeds, with directional antennas, image transmission is
> possible. Low
> speed communication would fit within SSB bandwidths and work
> with existing
> radios. Image transmission would require more bandwidth and not be
> compatible with existing NBFM radios, but would require new
> radios or an
> external adapter just as the new 38.4 and 76.8 kb/s pacsats do.
>
> Is there interest out there in a new digital mode?

If it can be accommodated at low cost and a bit of hard work, count me in.
:-)  Such a mode also has to be something "different" to catch my interest.
Actually, I'm thinking of playing with PSK31 to get a feel for it.

I imagine that the low speed modes could be done with a PC and soundcard,
just as PSK31 is done today.  The higher speed modes may need a DSP board to
make work (hmm, could the DSP board also be used for IF processing - a
softweare defined radio of sorts...)?