RE: Re: Discovery Project: Which Mission Next?

> Van: Jim Walls [mailto:k6ccc@earthlink.net]
> "Schaik, A. van" wrote:
> > > Van: tlang@freeway.apana.org.au
> > >
> > > Hello Jon!
> > >
> > > Jon wrote on 31 Aug 00 at 13:47
> > >
> > >  JO> Enlighten me.  Why don't we have a Fast Scan ATV
> satellite?  That
> > >  JO> would be cool!  Much more interesting than talking to
> > > the same old
> > >  JO> farts in one's local area.  Too much bandwidth?  Power
> > > requirements
> > >  JO> too severe?  Inquiring minds want to know!
>
> Then Tone - VK3JED answered:
>
> > > Analogue ATV?  Anyone got a satellite band 7 MHz wide and a
> > > good power budget?
> > > FM would need even more bandwidth. I suspect this is the main
> > > problem.  Digital
> > > technology should help to create useful ATV birds, by
> > > allowing narrower
> > > bandwidths.
> > >
> > > Would love to beam TV pictures around, but we may have to be
> > > creative to get it
> > > working within amateur constraints. :-)
>
> Then Andre - PE1RDW said:
>
> > We have one digital tv transponder linked to a ATV repeater in the
> > netherlands.
> > I think it was on hotbird with a wide beam, it might be
> usable on the east
> > coast with a large dish.
> > It's all part of a sponserschip deal (the repeater is
> located at a satalite
> > shop) so if one repeater can do it so can others.
>
> And now Jim  - K6CCC replied:
>
> Andre,
> I'm assuming you are refering to taking the downlink from a commercial
> satellite and repeating that downlink onto an ATV repeater.
> That is commonly
> done with NASA-TV off GE2 during space shuttle missions.
> This is specifically
> allowed in the FCC rules (normally it's illegal in the US to
> retransmit another
> radio service).
> I believe the original discussion was transmitting fast scan
> ATV via an amateur
> satellite.  For that we don't have anywhere near enough
> bandwidth available on
> all amateur satelllites that have ever been launched
> combined.  AM/VSB takes
> close to 6MHz, narrow band FM is close to 17 MHz and wideband
> FM is about 36
> MHz wide.

Hi Jim,

I was talking about a commercial satellite repeating the output of a ATV
repeater (PI6ALK) (well not completely trhu the repeater has a direct uplink
to the satellite) so it isn't an amateur satellite but it is amateur tv.
I think that repeater has a webpages with a realvideo feed too.

I have heard someone talk about a smalband fm atv within 5 mhz but i'm not
sure how it is done and what the image looks like (i think it would be
horible).

73 de Andre PE1RDW
aprsdigi co-ordinator Netherlands
member aprs workgroup Netherlands