Re: Re: Discovery Project: Which Mission Next?

I assume that earth stations could use (existing) 44.xx.xx.xx addresses
to communicate via satellite without the need for DHCP by using a subnet
mask of 255.0.0.0.  This would allow any two stations with 44.xx.xx.xx
addresses to communicate without need to dedicate a subnet (with a longer
subnet mask) specifically for satellite use.  Of course, earth stations
using this strategy would need to rationalize their IP routing with other
uses of 44.xx.xx.xx addresses on other interfaces.  And, never mind that
this approach conflicts with the conventional use of the 44. net
(namely, a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0).

On the other hand, I generally like dynamic IP address assignment.  I
suspect that DHCP could profitably be hacked to work better in this
environment.  Without referring to the protocol spec, I think that DHCP
requires at least two round trip times to assign an address.  It
would be nice to reduce this to one round trip time for satellites.
You also might want to convince the ground stations to not request an
address assignment until after AOS, and then perhaps ask a bit aggressively.

-tjs