FO29/FO20 blues

My radio is a Yaesu FT-847. My antenna's are 21 and 42 element yagis for
vhf,uhf and are on a mast that is rotated in azimuth and elevation. I am
able to work UO-14 from horizon to horizon without any problem.

When I track FO20 or FO29 I can receive on usb as I hear the digitalker
and now with mode JA active on FO29 I hear people from time to time
(although my S meter never move).
However, when I try to transmit in the middle of the band (lsb on
145.95) I hear nothing on receive at 435.85.

What am I doing wrong?

thanks.
KD7GND