RE: Re: Discovery Project: Which Mission Next?

On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Tony Langdon wrote concerning HAM TV via sat:

> > What I think we need is something like about a 1 second frame
> > rate.  This would only take 12 dB more than FM and about 250 KHz
> > instead of the 6 MHz...
>
> Well, with digital technology, it has already been proven that a useable (~
> 1fps) video channel can be obtained on a data stream < 30kbps.  Many people
> do it everyday on the Internet!..
>
> By the time you get to 64 kbps, you're at ISDN speeds, for which there are a
> number of commercial videoconferencing systems capable of excellent
> performance.  My point is that your idea is achieveable. Could be especially
> good for SAREX and similar programs.

Next question is how long does it take to sync-up such a digital link?
SOme of the fast speed is due to synchronous protocols which might take  a
few seconds to synchronize?  I'm outta my league here...  IE, can very
fast (off the shelf) digital links be exchanged between many in a
round-table QSO type format?

de WB4APR, Bob