Re: New Observations on UO-14 (17:00UTC Pass)

Hi David

Yes, the eggbeaters aren't too hot at low elevations especially if you have
radials fitted unless you perform some sort of rotation such as Jerry's
devised. As Jon said, limited to predominantly linear polarization at the
horizon also gives you even less chance as there is probably a strong linear
component from the sat at low angles. Murphy's law probably states that
it'll be in the opposite polarization to you too. Again, tilting and
rotating would help here.

You're right about Yagis. Struggling from an appartment block, I'd only
omnis for nearly a year. Worked all the analog sats (except AO-10) that way,
and heard all the digi's (albeit rather unreliably).

I finally had the courage to risk putting up a pair of Arrows a few weeks
ago with polarization switching on an AzEl rotator. Even with this sub
optimal arrangement it does make your chances of success working a satellite
an order of magnitude better. The polarization switching also helps
significantly. I can now work all the digi's and even AO-10 to 15,000km.
Most important I've had no complaints from the neighbors... yet. Hope I'm
not tempting fate!

73 Howard G6LVB