Re: Re: Discovery Project: Which Mission Next?

As everyone points out, the bandwidth of FSTV is horrendous and takes at
least 24 dB greater than FM for any satellite link, probably the best
compromise would be the FAST-FM mode now used between kenwood radios an
the VC-H1 SSTV converter.  I think this takes only 15 seconds for a pretty
good image.  But still, that is awfully slow.

But on a LEO bird, what value is anything more than that?  Everyone in the
whole USA would have to share just 15 minutes, and we have demosntrated
that that is difficult to do on LEO's

What I think we need is something like about a 1 second frame rate.  This
would only take 12 dB more than FM and about 250 KHz instead of the 6 MHz
for FSTV..  But rather than inventing another wheel, I suspect the mor
universal approach will be just to have a high data rate digital
transponsder, and then JPIG images can be exchanged just as easliy...  ANd
with the possible compression, this will be far more effecient thatn
either FSTV or FAST-FM SSTV....

In any case, what would be a good target?  1 Image a second?

de WB4APR, Bob