Re: Re: Discovery Project: Which Mission Next?

"Schaik, A. van" wrote:

> [...]

Then Tone - VK3JED answered:

Then Andre - PE1RDW said:

> We have one digital tv transponder linked to a ATV repeater in the
> netherlands.
> I think it was on hotbird with a wide beam, it might be usable on the east
> coast with a large dish.
> It's all part of a sponserschip deal (the repeater is located at a satalite
> shop) so if one repeater can do it so can others.

And now Jim (me) - K6CCC replied:

Andre,
I'm assuming you are refering to taking the downlink from a commercial
satellite and repeating that downlink onto an ATV repeater.  That is commonly
done with NASA-TV off GE2 during space shuttle missions.  This is specifically
allowed in the FCC rules (normally it's illegal in the US to retransmit another
radio service).
I believe the original discussion was transmitting fast scan ATV via an amateur
satellite.  For that we don't have anywhere near enough bandwidth available on
all amateur satelllites that have ever been launched combined.  AM/VSB takes
close to 6MHz, narrow band FM is close to 17 MHz and wideband FM is about 36
MHz wide.

73
Jim Walls - K6CCC
k6ccc@amsat.org