Re: New Observations on UO-14 (17:00UTC Pass)

on 9/4/00 12:24 PM, David M. Tipton, PhD at tiptond@psi.com wrote:

> What I did today, just for grins, is I hooked up my Arrow to my HT (Which
> you'd think would be lesser of a receiver) and used the 290H (On low power)
> hooked to the egg beater as a receiver.  I reached the following conclusions.

Actually, the receivers inside HTs are just as hot if not hotter than most
mobiles.  The reason: they are designed to work and pick up signals with
crummy (rubber duck) antennas.  That's why HTs are so prone to intermod when
you put a "real" antenna on them, while a mobile, which is likely less
sensitive doesn't have that problem (sensitivity and intermod are
proportional when you remove additional variables like different filtering,
etc.).

The beam antenna definitely helped as well.  And your right, eggbeaters
don't work well at low angles.  They are linearly polarized at low angles
which hurts even more.

73,

Jon
NA9D