Re: Comments on UO-14

na9d@mindspring.com writes:

>  > A 1/2 wl vertical antenna (e.g., a dipole)  has an almost identical
elevation
>  > pattern to a 1/4 wl GP.
>
>  You are correct.  When you said you had a vertical dipole, I was thinking
an
>  end-fed half wave (which is a gain antenna).  Yes, I do know that a 1/2
wave
>  center fed vertically run dipole has virtually the same pattern as a 1/4
>  wave vertical.
>
>  > I did not mean to imply I could not hear the bird.  In fact, I
>  > had 100 % copy from horizon to horizon using a hand-held 3-element beam
>
>  ???  Now I am confused.  I thought you said in your first message, that all
>  you were using was your dipole and you couldn't hear the bird except for
the
>  end of the pass.

Jon, I am sorry if you are confused.  Here is the original posting.  I did
not say all I was using was a dipole.  I never mentioned anything about not
being able to hear the bird.....

   In the FWIW department, I operated mobile today and had equal passes at
   about 35 degrees elevation to both the east and the west.  On the eastern
   pass (in EL28) I was not able to get into the bird at all until about the
last 2
   minutes when there were only a couple of stations left in the shadow.  I
   confirmed 2 of them.  I found it illuminating that with a 50 W mobile rig
and a
   mag-mounted vertical dipole antenna on 2 m, I could not even get 1 contact
in
   with the bird over the eastern US.

>  No you mention the 3 element beam.  There's a big
>  difference between those two.  Did you have the beam with you?

Jon,
I guess I confused you again.  Here again is the text from the second
posting...

   I did not mean to imply I could not hear the bird.  In fact, I had 100 %
copy
   from horizon to horizon using a hand-held 3-element beam.

>  >If
>  > you are interested in the pattern for the vertical antenna, please see
the
>  > link below and select "2m Mobile Vertical":
>
>  Nah, after studying antenna theory in college, spending a summer on a test
>  range and now selling them, I've seen enough antenna patterns!

73,
Jerry, K5OE