Re: Comments on UO-14

on 9/3/00 9:20 PM, K5OE@aol.com at K5OE@aol.com wrote:

> A 1/2 wl vertical antenna (e.g., a dipole)  has an almost identical elevation
> pattern to a 1/4 wl GP.

You are correct.  When you said you had a vertical dipole, I was thinking an
end-fed half wave (which is a gain antenna).  Yes, I do know that a 1/2 wave
center fed vertically run dipole has virtually the same pattern as a 1/4
wave vertical.

> I did not mean to imply I could not hear the bird.  In fact, I
> had 100 % copy from horizon to horizon using a hand-held 3-element beam

???  Now I am confused.  I thought you said in your first message, that all
you were using was your dipole and you couldn't hear the bird except for the
end of the pass.  No you mention the 3 element beam.  There's a big
difference between those two.  Did you have the beam with you?

>If
> you are interested in the pattern for the vertical antenna, please see the
> link below and select "2m Mobile Vertical":

Nah, after studying antenna theory in college, spending a summer on a test
range and now selling them, I've seen enough antenna patterns!

:-)

73,

Jon
NA9D