Re: Comments on UO-14

on 9/3/00 4:38 PM, K5OE@aol.com at K5OE@aol.com wrote:

> I found it illuminating that with a 50 W mobile rig and
> a mag-mounted vertical dipole antenna on 2 m, I could not even get 1 contact
> in with the bird over the eastern US.

If you have anything greater than a quarter wave antenna, most of the
radiation is in the horizontal direction.  The pattern falls off rapidly as
your angle of elevation gets higher.  That's why you were able to hear the
bird near the end of the pass and also on the more western pass where (I
assume) the angle of the satellite was lower in the sky to you.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden