Fw: ATS-1

Cliff...

 Exactly what's your point?

 I agree, the "mini-ham shacks" are not the ultimate in amateur radio, but
 for us apartment dwellers who aren't permitted to put up an antenna, they
 could be all we have.

 Thankfully, birds like UO-14 let us do something resembling real ham radio
 with our HTs, and not be totally relegated to meaningless chatter on the
 local repeater. -s-

 Frank
 wb2bxo@amsat.org

<fgrossma@idt.net>
> Sent: Saturday, September 02, 2000 5:35 PM
> Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] ATS-1
>

> > This note is very interesting as I have been trying to address this to a
> > number of you.  Consider this result DIRECTLY to the FM crowd and the
> > hamshack on the belt mentality now in the majority.  You see you CAN do
> > something about it and promoting the use of these mini-hamshacks is NOT
> > one of them!  Cliff K7RR
> >

> > On Sat, 2 Sep 2000, Henry Moseley wrote:
> >
> > > Setting aside ATS-1 and the 6000W ERP requirement for a moment, what
> > > applications do we have going that do make sense? These reflectors are
> full
> > > of moaning about why some satellites seem dead and are unused. There
are
> > > certainly no Public Service activities, which are supposed to be one
of
> the
> > > important aspects of our hobby. That is what the university is doing
> with
> > > ATS-1, but we HAMS do not seem to feel obliged to do that.
> > >
> > >  I suppose if someone screamed "MAYDAY" long enough on UO14, some good
> > > samaritan might jot down and pass on some coordinates. I've sent
> literally
> > > hundreds of test messages through the APRSAT system with a success
rate
> of
> > > way under 10%. There is some sporadic enthusiasm, but there is NO,
> repeat,
> > > NO systematic monitoring of these downlinks over the Atlantic, over
the
> > > Pacific or over the US continent. Who is standing watch??
> > >
> > > There are many HAM HF nets who listen daily for emergency, medical and
> > > welfare traffic, there are public service PACTOR stations, maintaining
> > > continuous watches and there is the famous maritime service net on
more
> or
> > > less continuously on 14.350 or thereabouts.
> > >
> > > Did anyone hear the joke about the satellite op who tried to get past
St