Re: Re: Discovery Project: Which Mission Next?

Hi, Tony!!

At 01:07 AM 02-09-00 +1000, you wrote:
>Analogue ATV?  Anyone got a satellite band 7 MHz wide and a good power budget?
>FM would need even more bandwidth.

FYI:  Here in the USA/FCC's Laboratory Division, back in the 1940's, analog
FM television was tested along with AM/VSB with both using 6 MHz
channels.  FM worked quite well.  Indeed, to my eye reviewing the
photographs from receivers of the day, FM worked better than AM/VSB.

I'm still not sure why AM/VSB was chosen.  Curious.

Anyway, it's a tidbit from history.  Hope you find it interesting.

73, art.....