Re: Re: Discovery Project: Which Mission Next?

Yes you have defined the basic problems quite accurately!

However there are some proposals about to have some cameras on the ISS which
could downlink fast scan live ATV pictures from outside the station. Perhaps
of the structure or even earth pointing and maybe remotely steerable by
amateurs on earth. I have some more info on this if you are interested!

The power budget would be iffy using existing analogue techniques but
present development work to create a digital ATV system would enable "good"
quality video in 1 meg bandwidth.

And the other good thing is that even on 2400MHz Doppler tracking would not
be needed!

I think an ATV transponder satellite is still unlikely to generate enough
support though! (imagine UO14 but with pictures)......

cheers

Graham G3VZV

> Enlighten me.  Why don't we have a Fast Scan ATV satellite?  That would be
> cool!  Much more interesting than talking to the same old farts in one's
> local area.  Too much bandwidth?  Power requirements too severe?
Inquiring