Re: FO-20- Don't Give Up

Very, very, very good points.

Remember that FO-20, FO-29 and AO-10 are INVERTING.  Meaning LSB up and USB
down.  Plus remember that the frequency inverts as well.  Being at the low
end of the uplink passband means being at the high end of the downlink
passband.

The best way to find yourself is to create a little chart overlaying the
uplink and downlink passbands.  In the inverting birds, one of the scales
will need to be "backwards" to make sense.  Basically draw a line and put
the bottom of the uplink band on the top and (for the inverting birds) the
top of the downlink band on the bottom.  Then increase the frequency by say
10 kc on the top and decrease it 10 kc on the bottom.  Make another mark and
continue onward until you reach the end of the passbands.  These are the
frequencies that would correspond to each other if you had no doppler.  I
think these charts are available from AMSAT as well.  If you start with
these in mind, you will be very close to finding your self and will only
have to tune a few KCs.  Try to listen to the beacon first.  If you are 5
kc's off the beacon frequency, then your downlink and uplink frequencies
will be off by about 5 kcs as well.  It's all pretty simple once you get the
hang of it.

Also, all the activity hangs out in the MIDDLE of the passbands, NOT the
ends.  It's unlike HF and even small signal VHF/UHF were most of the
activity is at the low end of the band segments.  Activity tends to be in
the middle.  So if you call and no one has heard you, you may be in the
wrong portion of the band.  I know I made that mistake several times before
I accidentally discovered my error.

73,

Jon
NA9D