Re:FO-20

Hi Dave,

> From: "Dave Barrows" <dbarrows@my-deja.com>
> Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 17:53:11 -0700
> To: "Randolph Kohlwey" <kohlwey@xmission.com>
> Cc: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
> Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] FO-20
>
> I believe that LEO satellites with linear transponders would be more popular
> if (1) they were easier to get into (like RS-13) and (2) had orbits which put
> them overhead in the evening hours instead of the daytime / middle of the
> night.

You'll find that, over time, FO-20 will be available at convenient hours
during the evening. The orbit shifts, with respect to local time, over the
course of several years. Orbital injection is usually planned to give the
most efficient illumination to the satellite's solar cells. To do otherwise
would allow the satellites batteries to drop to a DoD (depth of discharge)
that would shorten the life of the power subsystems. Since these things are
SO expensive to get into orbit, the first operational consideration has to
be maximizing the service life of the spacecraft, even at the risk of
inconveniencing the users.

73,

John AA2BN