Re: FO-20- Don't Give Up

Hi Dave(s) and others,

Don't give up on The analog birds. It takes a little practice to know
which way is up
and which way is down, etc.

There is not as much activity on those birds, but the quality of the
QSO's is much
better! (It's not just all "contest style" QSO's).

Getting into the bird is the easy part.  Hearing is the hard part, same
as with the
FM birds. You need  a decent antenna and maybe a preamp, too.  Actually
you can
do with a fair antenna and a preamp.

Find a spot where you know you are hearing yourself and make a note of
it, so
when the next pass comes along you can start at that same spot to get
your
antennas lined up and hear yourself.   You might want to make a note of
that same
uplink/downlink relationship at the beginning, middle, end of the pass so
you'll know
where to look for yourself as the doppler changes.

Don't get way at the bottom or the top of the passband, stay around the
middle some-
place. Some stations don't tune around very much and they may not find
you
calling CQ.

Many times I've called CQ a lot with no answer, but I hear other stations
engaged in
QSO's, so I go to their frequency and check in with them.  MOST of the
stations on
just about any satellite will welcome "breakers" and make a round-table
QSO.

Good luck!

73,
John, K6YK