Re: Packet on the birds..

on 8/31/00 9:45 PM, David M. Tipton, PhD at tiptond@psi.com wrote:

> This may sound like an incredibly naive question, but...
>
> Can I use my TNC-2 to connect to the packet birds?

No, Dave.

The 1200 baud birds use a Manchester encoded uplink on FM.  You could modify
it to transmit Manchester ala Bob Bruninga.  However, that doesn't help you
with the downlink.  The downlink is PSK so you need an all mode radio and a
PSK modem.  I don't know if anyone makes the PSK modems any more (Paccomm
may but they are $$$$) and I rarely see them used.  So 1200 baud birds are
really a waste.

If you have a 9600 baud FSK modem (standard 9600 TNC) you CAN use it on the
birds as all the 9600 baud birds use that format.  Unless you work on FO-29
on one of the RARE times its in 9600 baud, then you will need special
software to decode the PacSat protocol. FO-29 is the only one you can
connect to like a normal BBS.

Back when MIR was operating, the packet station on that was regular 1200
baud AFSK.  Perhaps when the ISS is active we'll eventually have a 1200 baud
AFSK system, but it's not all that useful since the speed is so slow, IMHO.

Hope this helps.

73,

Jon
NA9D