Re: FO-20

on 8/31/00 7:53 PM, Dave Barrows at dbarrows@my-deja.com wrote:

> I believe that LEO satellites with linear transponders would be more popular
> if (1) they were easier to get into (like RS-13) and (2) had orbits which put
> them overhead in the evening hours instead of the daytime / middle of the
> night.

Well, I have seen that unlike AO-27, SO-35 and so forth, the FO birds tend
to "rotate" a bit in their passes.  Some times the passes are in the middle
of the night, but at others they are in the evening when it is still a
reasonable hour.  I've had a lot of good evening QSOs on FO-20.  And it is a
very easy bird to get into.  RS-13 is sometimes MORE difficult because of
the noise on 10 meters.

> I am surprised that someone in the Philadelphia area hasn't run portable in
> Delaware to put that state on the FO birds.  Perhaps I will undertake that
> mission later in the fall (it is a two hour trip from here).  However, I don't
> have enough signal into the uplink to work anything but cw on FO20/FO29 with
> my Arrow antenna.

If you get a good overhead pass, you should be able to work FO-20/29 with
minimal power.  I have mucho elements but I also have about 60 feet of coax.
I've easily gotten SSB into those babies with about a watt out of the 847.
So it can be done.

The problem with the SSB birds is that

a.) Most of the SSB ops mothballed their stations after the demise of AO-13.
b.) The rest of the ham community thinks their too hard to work (I did).
c.) FM is the fashionable and politically correct mode to promote right now.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden