Re: Re: Discovery Project: Which Mission Next?

Hello Jon!

30 Aug 00 20:58, you wrote to Allen Emer:

 JO> Well, I would be all in favor of specific passes of the Shuttle, ISS,
 JO> whatever to specifically talk to kids.  NO PROBLEM WITH THAT!  What my
 JO> objection is the EXCLUSIVE use of a SAREX or ISS mission to talk to
 JO> ONLY kids.  Too many times that's the only stuff that can happen:
 JO> pre-arranged QSOs with schools.  I'm all in favor of doing demos for
 JO> kids.  I just want the rest of us to be thrown a bone once in a while.
 JO> And I also don't want to spend a fortune on a piece of hardware that's
 JO> just for telemetry or "kids only."

I have to agree.  Surely there's room for everyone.

 JO> Someone posted that the use of the FO-29 digitalker was a great demo
 JO> for school kids.  Wouldn't a better demo be people from earth actually
 JO> talking to other people from earth via a satellite.  I'd be more than
 JO> happy to do that!

So would I.  Actually, that would dramitically increase the traffic on any
satellite that was chosen for the task, something definitely welcome on this
side of the world.

On a similar note, I have done several demos for the general public on
satellite operation, both FM and SSB/CW.  They were generally well received,
especially when I get the other station to state their location ("He's really
in Perth?!?!" :) ).

Surely, amateurs and schools can work together on a local or regional scale to
make it happen in a similar fashion.

Tony, VK3JED

.. I am not a rumor monger. I am simply passing on what I have heard.