Re: Re: Discovery Project: Which Mission Next?

Jon,

These Sarex missions take over 2 1/2 yrs from application to transmission
and are well worth the time both on the ground and of the Astronauts.
They are and will always be very special.

Hams can talk to spacecraft any time they want. Track the bird, know their
sched. and be patient. Like a Dx pile up. School kids don't quite understand
the persistence part of it and that is why it is necessary to have a regular
weekday sstv signal or a scheduled Sarex contact.

You and I and 95% of the the other hams out there have a handicap in making
a contact, my son and wife do not.

I will tell you the secret to making a contact....(ok every body else clear
screen...)

We are males...astro's for the most part are males...there are 500 or more
male voices all calling at the same time, and its tough to get in some
times.  So to assure a contact my son Calls "R0MIR India Juliet age 11",
gets and extended vox contact with Mir while everyone else get 59's
My wife calls Mir one day while they were packing up and the french general
(French of course!) comes right back(after 4 months with two guys)  and then
starts digging around the spacestation looking for the camera he packed up
so he could send her a sstv shot out the port hole... just cause she thanked
him for sending sstv pic while he was up there. It ain't fair Jon....but ya
just gotta keep trying.

Hmmmm... Male Sarex missions.....perhaps I dismissed the idea too quickly.

The Fo29 Digitalker is well looked forward to because we can use it (oh Boy
FM) to have students receive it during school programs integrating computer
tracking and space radio reception with an arrow antenna. The key to it is
really its FM ability in that mode and that its another bird to fill a time
period when the students are looking for a pass.

With best regards

Allen Emer, N2YAC