Re: Re: FO-29 Operation sked for Sept-Nov.5 2000

on 8/30/00 8:15 PM, Tak Okamoto at ja2pki@AMSAT.Org wrote:

> At 20:29 00/08/28 -0500, you wrote:
>> Why the digitalker mode?
>
> Running digitalker from July 20 till today Aug 31 was
> a promise with children and young students. This period
> is the Summer holidays for public elementary and junior high
> schools here in Japan and the digitalker provided material
> for their Summer holiday research projects.
>
> This is not just for children but ham operators in all ages
> who have never thought it is possible to listen signal from
> satellites with their handheld. So the decision of JAS2 control
> station is based on the hope for bringing them up to the next
> level.

Tak,

Thank you for your post.  Domo arigato.

I understand the reasons and the motivation behind having the digitalker
mode.  However, my question was if it really needed to be for an entire
month at a time.  If it was just for two weeks, it still would have served
the purpose you describe.

Oh well....I guess if I want a bird to operate in the mode that I want it to
operate in, I should just fork out the money to build and launch one myself.
Put up or shut up as they say!  :-)

73,

Jon
NA9D