Re: Re: Discovery Project: Which Mission Next?

on 8/30/00 6:50 PM, Allen Emer at aemer@monmouth.com wrote:

> When I first read this post, I had to say to my self what a typically self
> centered me, me, me, ham you were. The 'service' in Ham radio service is
> really missing these days. Your second posting let me see  what you're
> really saying...basically cost benefit. And right you were.

Thank you, Alan.  I'm glad I made that second post!

> Ok, so why is it Amsat keeps missing the biggest opportunity to implement a
> world-wide school education contact program, cheaply, utilizing 2meter SSTV
> transmissions from Mir and ISS, ON A WEEKDAY schedule to schools all over
> the world..? It could be easily received by scanners aided by local ham clubs.
> ...."we want to have packet beacon our automated qsl messages on that
> frequency" .. great, so all SSTV was done on the weekends when hams were
> home and the school kids had no chance.

Well, I would be all in favor of specific passes of the Shuttle, ISS,
whatever to specifically talk to kids.  NO PROBLEM WITH THAT!  What my
objection is the EXCLUSIVE use of a SAREX or ISS mission to talk to ONLY
kids.  Too many times that's the only stuff that can happen: pre-arranged
QSOs with schools.  I'm all in favor of doing demos for kids.  I just want
the rest of us to be thrown a bone once in a while.  And I also don't want
to spend a fortune on a piece of hardware that's just for telemetry or "kids
only."

Someone posted that the use of the FO-29 digitalker was a great demo for
school kids.  Wouldn't a better demo be people from earth actually talking
to other people from earth via a satellite.  I'd be more than happy to do
that!

I'd say we are in agreement!

73,

Jon